Sunday, June 19, 2011

On 5:54 PM by The Voice   No comments
Video made an introduction to my life as early as 3 years old. I can see pictures of me watching television when I was young. As I grew up, I remember going to the video rental shop (betamax, baby) with my mom to rent movies that we could watch. During those short trips, I was able to glance the evolution of video in households: betamax, VHS, Laser Disks, to the dawn of VCD that brought the closure of our quaint video rental shop with that pac-man logo.

Egyptologist, archeologist, scientist, I wanted to be a whole bunch of different careers. But what's common since I was a small boy is that I wanted to be on TV or in movies, a broadcaster or maybe an actor. I joined the 5 and Up club when I was about 10 years old. They had this video documentary workshop for kids, which I signed up. That was my first brush with actually creating a video. And that experience was unforgettable. It was the first I handled a camera, peered through its glass view finder to see the person in front of it lenses. I have the ability to quickly learn, and I learned how to shoot and prepare storyboards quickly with the help of our team facilitator. We brainstormed on possible persons of interests. It was exhilarating.

Fast forward to college, I was able to make several shorts. It was different that my childhood experience where I was guided and was steered in the right direction. In college, the art form that I am making has to have a vision, a manifestation of the emotions or message I want to convey; it's a reflection of who I am. But the basics of what I learned as a youngster is still there: hard work, dedication, thinking of others, and looking at society at different perspective, knowing the value of what I do, and its importance to show my audience the truth amidst all the constructs.

I passionate in doing videos, or any visual art. I feel that it is a way that I can be transcendent of culture and language, where everyone can understand no matter what race or religion. Whenever I get the chance, I would like to make beautiful shorts again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment